If you like the flavor of Taco Bell's sauce but don't like the burn, this is the sauce for you. It used to be that you could only get this sauce in the little blister packs from Taco Bell restaurants, but now the chain has partnered with Kraft Foods to sell the stuff in 7.5-ounce bottles in supermarkets. For the record, those bottles of hot sauce will set you back around $1.59 at the store, while the 6-ounce can of tomato paste required for this copycat Taco Bell mild sauce recipe is only 59 cents—and you end up with more than three times the amount of sauce.
Sauce: Top Secret Recipes Unlocked by Todd Wilbur.
This recipe is available in
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- One 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Do This
1. Dissolve the cornstarch in the water in a medium saucepan.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and cover the sauce until it has cooled. Store the sauce in a covered container in your refrigerator.
Makes 3 cups (24 ounces).
I'm Todd Wilbur,
Chronic Food Hacker
For 30 years I've been deconstructing America's most iconic brand-name foods to make the best original clone recipes for you to use at home. Welcome to my lab.