This cocktail requires a homemade mai tai mix which should tell you from the start that it's going to be good. Of course you can go the lazy route and use a pre-made mixer, like the one made by Mr. & Mrs. T. But I've got to say, there's nothing like the smooth, fruity taste that comes from the homemade fresh stuff. If you want to serve your guests a masterful mai tai, take the time to really make it rock.
Source: Top Secret Recipes: Sodas, Smoothies, Spirits & Shakes by Todd Wilbur.
Mai Tai Mix
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup passion fruit juice (Mauna Lai Paradise Passion blend works well)
- 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons simple syrup
- 2 ounces Barcardi light rum
- Splash Myer's dark rum
- Splash Bacardi 151 rum
- Pineapple slice
- Maraschino cherry
- Whole lime slice
- 1/2 orange slice
1. Combine ingredients for mai tai mix in a pitcher. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
2. Fill a 16-ounce glass with ice.
3. Pour light rum and mai tai mix over the ice.
4. Carefully add a splash of Myer's rum and Bacardi 151 to the top of the drink. These are floaters—do not stir.
5. Garnish with a pineapple slice and a cherry speared on a paper umbrella. Cut a slit in a whole lime slice and put it on the rim of the glass along with half an orange slice. Serve with a straw.
Makes 1 drink.
For over 30 years I've been deconstructing America's most iconic brand-name foods to make the best original copycat recipes for you to use at home. Welcome to my lab.