Applebee's Low-Fat Blackened Chicken Salad
By Todd Wilbur
Applebee's original Blackened Chicken Salad quickly became a favorite, encouraging this popular full-service chain to create a low-fat version of the delish dish. Since most of the fat in the original comes from the tasty honey mustard dressing, this version creates a dressing that tastes just as good, yet has not a single gram of fat. Combine that with fresh lettuce, shredded carrot, a little egg white, non-fat shredded cheese, and a delicious Cajun spice blend which generously coats grilled chicken, and you have a majorly munchable salad which is incredibly easy on the waistline. Who says you need gobs of fat to create a tasty meal?
Serving size–1 salad
Calories per serving–420
Fat per serving–5 g
Source: Top Secret Recipes Lite by Todd Wilbur.
This recipe is available in
- 1/4 cup fat free mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Grey Poupon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire
Cajun Spice Blend
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons light butter
- 8 cups chopped iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup fat free shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup fat free shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 hardboiled egg white, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- Do This
1. Make dressing by combining ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well by hand. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator until the salad is ready.
2. Combine water, lime juice, soy sauce, and Worcestershire in a medium bowl, and stir. Add the chicken breasts to the marinade, cover bowl and keep it in your refrigerator for several hours. Overnight is even better.
3. When the chicken is marinated, preheat a frying pan or skillet (an iron skillet, if you've got it) over medium/high heat. Also, preheat your barbecue grill to medium/high heat.
4. Combine the spices for the Cajun spice blend in a small bowl. Sprinkle a teaspoon of the spice blend over one side of each of the chicken breasts. Cover the entire surface of the chicken with spice.
5. Melt the butter in the hot pan, then sear the chicken breasts for 2 to 3 minutes on the side with the spices. While first side cooks, sprinkle another teaspoon of spice over the top of each chicken breast, coating that side as you did the other. Flip the chicken over, and sear for another 2 to 3 minutes. The surface of the chicken will be coated with a charred, black layer of flavor. This is exactly what you are shooting for.
6. Finish the chicken off on your barbecue grill. Grill each breast on both sides for 2 to 3 minutes, or until they are done.
7. While chicken is cooking prepare the salads by splitting the lettuce into two large bowls. Toss in the red cabbage and carrots. Mix the cheeses together, then top the salad with the cheeses and hardboiled egg. Sprinkle the diced tomato on each salad.
8. Slice the chicken breast, across each breast in 1/2-inch-thick slices. Spread the chicken over the top of the salad and serve immediately with dressing on the side.
Serves 2 as an entree.