If you've ever seen a clone recipe for KFC coleslaw it probably looks like this. This replica recipe has become one of the all-time most shared recipes on the intraweb. Here's the original secret formula I created from scratch in 1993 for my first book, Top Secret Recipes, to clone the world's best slaw.
Source: Top Secret Recipes by Todd Wilbur.
This recipe is available in
- 8 cups finely chopped cabbage (about 1 head)
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot (1 medium carrot)
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Do This
1. Be sure cabbage and carrots are chopped up into very fine pieces (about the size of rice).
2. Combine the mayonnaise, sugar, milk, buttermilk, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and beat until smooth.
3. Add the cabbage, carrots, and onion, and mix well.
4. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Serves 10 to 12.
I'm Todd Wilbur,
Chronic Food Hacker
For 30 years I've been deconstructing America's most iconic brand-name foods to make the best original clone recipes for you to use at home. Welcome to my lab.