This is a simple fast food sandwich to clone, and it's one of my favorites to make at home. This sandwich has been around since March of 1991, and has been a popular choice at Carl's Jr. outlets dotting the western United States. Chicken fillets are marinated in teriyaki sauce and grilled. The chicken is then stacked on a whole wheat bun along with American cheese, lettuce, mild green chili peppers and a spicy southwestern-style spread. If you're looking to fire up the barbecue for a little chicken grilling, give this sandwich a go and bring a surprise to the table.
Source: More Top Secret Recipes by Todd Wilbur.
This recipe is available in
- 4 skinless chicken breast fillets
- 1 cup teriyaki marinade (Lawry's is best)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- Pinch salt
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
- 4 iceberg lettuce leaves
- One 4-ounce can mild green chili peppers, well-drained
- 4 slices American cheese
- Do This
1. One a time, wrap each chicken fillet in plastic wrap and flatten it with a mallet so that the thickness is uniform throughout the fillet—about 1/2-inch thick. Marinate the flattened chicken fillets in the teriyaki marinade in a shallow bowl for at least 1 hour.
2. Preheat a clean barbecue to medium grilling heat.
3. Prepare the sauce in a small bowl by mixing the mayonnaise with the paprika, cayenne pepper, curry powder, and salt.
4. Grill the chicken for 5 to 8 minutes per side, or until done.
5. Brown the faces of each bun in a hot frying pan.
6. Spread a tablespoon of sauce on the faces of each bun, top and bottom.
7. On each bottom bun place a lettuce leaf, then a green chili pepper. You want the pepper to be spread over most of the lettuce. To do this, slice the pepper down the middle and spread it open so that it covers more territory. When sliced open like this, some peppers are big enough for 2 sandwiches.
8. Place one chicken fillet on each of the sandwiches, on top of the chili pepper.
9. Place a slice of American cheese on the chicken.
10. Top it all off with the top bun.
Makes 4 sandwiches.