As you bake these cookies, imagine producing a quarter of a million cookies and crackers every minute. That's what Nabisco does. Which is why the conglomerate is the largest manufacturer of cookies and crackers in the world. Chips Ahoy! Chocolate Chip Cookies were developed in 1964, along with Chicken In A Biscuit Crackers and Mister Salty Pretzels. But Chips Ahoy! became the big winner for the company. Today it's the world's top-selling chocolate-chip cookie, with more than 6 billion sold every year.
Source: More Top Secret Recipes by Todd Wilbur.
This recipe is available in
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable shortening
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- One 12-ounce bag mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Do This
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the shortening and sugars and blend with an electric mixer until smooth.
3. Add the salt, vanilla, and baking soda.
4. While beating at low speed, slowly add the flour. Then add the water. Mix thoroughly. Stir in the chocolate chips. Add extra water to dough if needed to make it stick together.
5. Form the cookies by breaking off bits of dough and patting them out with your fingers into 2-inch rounds about 1/8 inch thick.
6. Place the cookies on ungreased cookie sheets and bake for 12 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown on the top and around the edges.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies.