Z'Tejas Southwestern Grill Z' Big Stick Margarita
By Todd Wilbur
In the southwestern cities where Z'Tejas serves these incredible margaritas, they are truly legendary. The secret mixture is made fresh every day in a freezing dispenser machine with a dirt-cheap brand of tequila and custom-made sweet-and-sour mix. Perhaps that's the beauty of the drink. It's one of the most potent margaritas around, but with the addition of sweet liqueurs, its strength is well hidden. Even though the chain uses a special machine to make this one, preparing your own clone doesn't require any special equipment. It does take patience, however. Most good things do. But before long you'll be enjoying either a clone of Z' Big Stick with three layers of liqueurs, or a copy of the Famous Chambord Raspberry Margarita, the drink that earns "Best Margarita in Town" awards for the chain on a regular basis.
You can, of course, drink the basic margarita base without the liqueurs, but the added liqueurs give the drink its charm. To create the margarita, you must mix all the ingredients in a pitcher and put it in the freezer for at least 4 hours, even overnight if you can. The cocktail won't freeze solid since there's tequila in there. When it's frozen, you take it out, and give it a little stir until it's the perfect slushy consistency.
This recipe clones the tall, 14-ounce drink served in a pilsner glass with layers of Chambord, Midori, and blue curacao. The restaurant limits customers to just two of these drinks per visit. Try it and you'll find out why.
Source: Top Secret Recipes: Sodas, Smoothies, Spirits & Shakes by Todd Wilbur.
This recipe is available in
- 2 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 5 ounces Montezuma gold tequila
- 2 1/2 ounces triple sec liqueur
- 1 ounce Chambord liqueur
- 1 ounce blue curacao liqueur
- 1 ounce Midori liqueur
- 2 lime wedges
- Do This
Restaurant/BrandZ'Tejas Southwestern Grill
1. Combine sugar with warm water in a pitcher and stir or shake until the sugar is dissolved. Add the lime juice, lemon juice, tequila, and triple sec and put the pitcher in the freezer for several hours, until the drink is frozen.
2. When the drink is frozen, use a long spoon to mix it up so it's slushy and smooth. The alcohol in the drink will prevent it from freezing solid so that you can break it up by stirring.
3. To make each drink, pour 1/2 ounce of Chambord into the bottom of two 14-ounce pilsner glasses. Add about 1/4 cup of the frozen margarita on top of the liqueur. Pour 1/2 ounce of blue curacao into each glass, then add another 1/4 cup frozen margarita. Add 1/2 ounce Midori to each glass and top off the drink with the remaining frozen margarita.
4. Add a straw and lime wedge to each drink and serve.
Makes 2 14-ounce drinks.
There are no reviews for this product yet...
I'm Todd Wilbur,
Chronic Food Hacker
For 30 years I've been deconstructing America's most iconic brand-name foods to make the best original clone recipes for you to use at home. Welcome to my lab.