According to Main On Foods, the manufacturer and distributor of Twin Dragon Almond Cookies, the original recipe was brought to this country in 1951 by a Chinese baker who owned a small corner shop in downtown Los Angeles. That retail bakery is gone now, but its most popular product, the world's best-tasting almond cookie, is still selling.
Source: Top Secret Recipes by Todd Wilbur.
This recipe is available in
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup blanched almonds
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups lard (see Tidbits)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/8 cup water
- Do This
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix the flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
3. In a blender, grind 1/2 cup blanched almonds to a fine powder. Add to the flour mixture.
4. Cream the sugar, lard, almond extract, egg, and water in another bowl. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix thoroughly.
5. Form the dough into 1-inch balls and place them on an ungreased cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
6. Press one of the remaining almonds in the center of each ball, while flattening it slightly with your fingers.
7. Brush each cookie lightly with beaten egg.
8. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the cookies are light brown around the edges.
Makes 2 dozen cookies.
Tidbits: If your daily allowance of lard will be exceeded by this recipe, feel free to subsitute vegetable shortening.