Smith Family Turkey Chili
The Smith Family has a secret recipe. Those in the family (the girls) who know the delicious top secret turkey chili recipe refuse to share it with other family members (one guy in particular). Can I crack the secret formula and figure out the recipe for this desperate, hungry sibling? Find out how close I get with this hack on The Steve Harvey Show. Watch the video. Then make the recipe for yourself.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 small green bell peppers, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 5 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 15-ounce cans red beans, drained
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a chili pot over medium heat. Add the onion, bell peppers, and garlic and cook until onions are translucent.
2. While the vegetables are cooking, brown the turkey in a skillet over medium heat. Thoroughly break up the turkey with a wooden spoon or spatula as it cooks. When there is no more pink visible in the turkey, add it to the vegetables in the pot.
3. Add the tomatoes to the pot and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
4. Add the chili powder, sugar, salt, ground black pepper and cumin. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
5. Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, water and chicken broth. Bring chili to a simmer, then add the beans.
6. Reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered for 2 hours or until thick.
For 30 years I've been deconstructing America's most iconic brand-name foods to make the best original clone recipes for you to use at home. Welcome to my lab.