Rainforest Cafe Tropical Chicken Quartet Reduced Fat
By Todd Wilbur
This quartet of chicken sliders made with dinner rolls has been on the theme eatery's menu since the first restaurant opened back in 1994. It was called Tortuga Tidbits back then, but as a restaurant spokesperson explains, "No one knew what a Tortuga Tidbit was...neither did we. So last year we changed the name to make it more descriptive of the menu item."
For this low-fat conversion, we'll need to use the Top Secret Recipes hack of Rainforest Cafe Reggae Beat spice blend. The recipe is designed to make a yield total of three sandwiches, since the dinner rolls come in packages of twelve.
Serving size–1 4-roll sandwich
Calories per serving–768 (Original–863)
Fat per serving–14g (Original–27g)
Source: Low-Fat Top Secret Recipes by Todd Wilbur.
This recipe is available in
Spicy Remoulade Sauce
- 1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons finely minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon French dressing
- 1 teaspoon finely minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Grey Poupon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3 skinless chicken breast fillets
- Oil cooking spray
- TSR version of Reggae Beat Seasoning (see intro)
- 6 canned pineapple slices
- 1 package of 12 homestyle diner rolls
- Fat-free butter-flavored spray
- 1 1/2 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 4 slices fat-free Kraft mozzarella cheese singles
- Do This
1. Prepare the spicy remoulade sauce by combining the ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and chill until needed.
2. Preheat barbecue grill to high.
3. Pound the chicken breasts lightly until about 1/2 inch thick. Spray each breast with a light coating of oil cooking spray. Sprinkle a generous portion of Reggae Beat Seasoning clone over one side of each chicken breast. Place each breast, seasoned side down, onto the grill. Sprinkle additional seasoning over the top of each chicken breast. Grill the pineapple slices and chicken for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until done.
4. While chicken cooks, heat up a large skillet over medium heat. Separate the dinner rolls into groups of four.
5. Keeping the rolls attached in groups of four, spray the face of each group of rolls with a light coating of butter-flavored spray, and then grill the face until golden brown in the hot skillet. Arrange the rolls on three separate plates for assembly.
6 Spread 1 teaspoon of the remoulade sauce onto the faces of the bottom buns. Sprinkle some shredded letttuce onto the sauce, then place a slice of tomato on each of the 4 rolls.
7. When the chicken is done, cut each breast into 4 equal size pieces. Arrange the chicken onto the tomato on each sandwich.
8. Cut each slice of cheese into quarters. Arrange a quarter slice of cheese over the chicken on each sandwich.
9. Cut each pineapple slice in half and position the half on the cheese on each sandwich. That's 4 pineapple halves per 4-roll sandwich.
10. Finish off the sandwich by placing the top half of the group of 4 rolls on each sandwich and serve.