Outback Steakhouse Sydney's Sinful Sundae
Menu Description: "Vanilla ice cream rolled in toasted coconut, covered in chocolate sauce and topped with whipped cream."
Here's an easy-to-make dessert that will give you a cool way to use the vanilla ice cream that's gathering ice crystals in the freezer. The key to this recipe is to plan ahead a bit by placing your serving plates into the freezer (give 'em at least 30 minutes). While the plates are chilling out, toast some coconut in the oven, then roll scoops of ice cream in it. Top your masterpiece with canned whipped cream or make your own from the simple recipe included here.
Source: Top Secret Restaurant Recipes 2 by Todd Wilbur.
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 4 large scoops vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup fudge topping
- 8 large ripe strawberries
1. Put four dinner plates into the freezer.
2. Make whipped cream by whipping the heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed. It helps if the bowl has been chilled ahead of time. Continue whipping until the cream makes stiff peaks. Be careful not to over beat or the whipped cream could break. Pop the whipped cream into the fridge until you need it.
3. Preheat your oven to 300 degrees F.
4. Spread the coconut over the bottom of the inside of a large baking sheet. Shake the pan a little to spread the coconut evenly.
5. Bake the coconut for 25 to 30 minutes or until the coconut is a light, golden brown. You may have to stir or shake the coconut in the last 10 minutes to help it brown evenly. Allow the coconut to cool on a plate or in a large bowl.
6. Heat up the fudge topping for 10 to 15 seconds in the microwave. Get the plates out of the freezer and make a circle of fudge on each of the plates.
7. Roll each scoop of ice cream in the coconut until it is well coated. Press down on the ice cream to help the coconut stick. Place a coconut-covered scoop of ice cream onto the center of the plate, then spoon about 2 tablespoons of fudge over the top of the ice cream.
8. Use an ice cream scoop to scoop a large portion of whipped cream and stack it on each of the scoops of ice cream.
9. Cut the stems from the strawberries. Cut four of the strawberries lengthwise into quarters. Position the sliced strawberries around the base of each scoop of ice cream on the ring of fudge. Place a whole strawberry onto the whipped cream on the top of each dessert. Serve with a spoon.
Makes 4 servings.
For over 30 years I've been deconstructing America's most iconic brand-name foods to make the best original clone recipes for you to use at home. Welcome to my lab.