This sweet side dish is so popular Cracker Barrel sells jars of it in the gift shop. But no need to buy it there when an easy Top Secret Recipe will provide a hot, fresh batch any time you want. This prep is simple because you don’t need to peel the apples. Just slice and cook them with the peels on until the apples are tender just like the original Cracker Barrel fried apples, then eat them straight up or as a tasty topping on ice cream.
- 3 golden delicious apples, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Without peeling the apples, core them and slice them into 8 slices each, so that you have a total of 24 slices.
2. Melt butter in a 2 or 3 quart saucepan over medium heat. When the butter has melted, add the sliced apples. Cook, while gently stirring the apples occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until you see some light browning on the apples.
3. Combine the apple juice and water in a small bowl or glass, and stir in the cornstarch. Add this to the apples along with the remaining ingredients.
4. Cook apples for 8 to 10 minutes once they begin to simmer. Apples are done when they are tender but not mushy, and the sauce has thickened to a syrup.
Makes 4 servings.
For over 30 years I've been deconstructing America's most iconic brand-name foods to make the best original clone recipes for you to use at home. Welcome to my lab.