- New Recipes
- Restaurant Recipes
- P - T
- T.G.I. Friday's
- T.G.I. Friday's Potato Skins Reduced-Fat
T.G.I. Friday's Potato Skins Reduced-Fat
Potato skins are good for you, but those at chain restaurants can be loaded with fat and calories. For my appearance on The Dr. Oz Show I created this version using oil spray, turkey bacon and reduced-fat cheese to clone the famous potato skins, but with around one-third of the calories and one-quarter of the fat.
Todd's Dr. Oz Clone
Calories: 178 (3 pieces)
Original T.G.I. Friday's
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 1 cup reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 8 teaspoons turkey bacon pieces
- 1 tablespoons fresh chives
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Canola oil non-stick cooking spray
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Bake the potatoes for 1 hour or until tender. When the potatoes have cooled enough so you can handle them, make two lengthwise cuts through each potato, resulting in 3 3/4 inch slices. Discard the middle slices or save them for a separate dish of mashed potatoes. This will leave you with two potato skins per potato.
2. With a spoon, scoop some of the potato out of each skin, being sure to leave about 1/4 inch of potato inside the skin. Pop the oven temperature up to 450 degrees F. Spray the entire surface of each potato skin with a light coating of canola oil spray. Place the skins on a baking sheet, open side up, salt each one and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the edges begin to brown.
3. Spread about 2 tablespoons of cheese on each potato skin. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of bacon pieces on top of the cheese on each potato skin. Bake the skins for another 2 to 4 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
4. Remove the skins from the oven and transfer them to a serving plate. Combine the chives with the sour cream and serve it in a small sauce cup in the center of the plate, with the skins arranged around the sour cream, like spokes on a wheel.
For over 30 years I've been deconstructing America's most iconic brand-name foods to make the best original copycat recipes for you to use at home. Welcome to my lab.
Monthly TSR Club
Domino's Loaded Tots