T.G.I. Friday's Nine-Layer Dip
By Todd Wilbur
Menu Description: "Refried beans, cheddar cheese, guacamole, black olives, seasoned sour cream, green onions, tomatoes and cilantro. Served with tortilla chips and fresh salsa."
When the first T.G.I. Friday's opened in New York City in 1965 as a meeting place for single adults, Newsweek and The Saturday Evening Post reported that it was the beginning of the "singles age." Today the restaurant's customers have matured, many are married, and they bring their children with them to the more than 300 Friday's across the country and around the world.
The Nine-Layer Dip is an often requested appetizer on the T.G.I. Friday's menu. This dish will serve half a dozen people easily, so it's perfect for a small gathering. Don't worry if there's only a couple of you—leftovers can be refrigerated for a day or two.
Source: Top Secret Restaurant Recipes by Todd Wilbur.
This recipe is available in
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch salt
- 1 16-ounce can refried beans
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup guacamole (made fresh or frozen, thawed)
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 2 green onions, chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
On The Side
- Do This
1. Combine the sour cream, cumin, cayenne pepper, paprika, and salt in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.
2. Heat the refried beans until hot, using a microwave or in a saucepan over medium heat.
3. When the beans are hot, spread them over the center of a serving platter or in a shallow dish.
4. Sprinkle half of the cheese evenly over the beans.
5. Spread the guacamole over the cheese.
6. Sprinkle the sliced olives over the guacamole.
7. Spread the seasoned sour cream over the olives.
8. Sprinkle the green onions, then the tomatoes evenly over the sour cream layer.
9. Finish up by sprinkling the remainder of the cheese over the tomatoes, and topping the dip off with the cilantro. Serve the dip with tortilla chips and a side of your favorite salsa.