When we cook at home, and want to clone the flavor of food like Taco Bell's, it takes no extra effort to make the meal significantly lower in fat than what you get at the restaurant. Why not give this recipe a go? You'll soon find out these tacos taste just like the soft tacos you get from the world's largest Mexican food chain, but with only one-quarter of the fat.
Serving size–1 taco
Calories per serving–170 (Original–225)
Fat per serving–3g (Original–12g)
Source: Top Secret Recipes Lite by Todd Wilbur.
This recipe is available in
- 1/2 pound super-lean ground beef (7% fat)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- Pinch garlic powder
- Pinch onion powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 5 6-inch fat-free flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded iceberg lettuce
- 5 tablespoons fat-free shredded Cheddar cheese
- Do This
1. In a medium bowl combine the ground beef with the flour, salt, minced onion, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder. Use your hands to thoroughly incorporate everything into the beef.
2. Preheat a skillet over medium/low heat and add the ground beef mixture to the pan along with the water. Brown the beef mixture for 5 to 6 minutes, using a wooden spoon or spatula to break up the beef as it cooks.
3. Using the microwave, heat up the fat-free flour tortillas wrapped in a moist cloth or paper towels, or use a tortilla steamer. Heat for 25 to 30 seconds, or until hot.
4. Spoon about 3 tablespoons of the beef mixture into the center of one tortilla.
5. Place about 2 tablespoons of shredded lettuce on top of the beef.
6. Finish the soft taco by spreading about a tablespoon of shredded cheese over the lettuce and fold. Repeat for the remaining tacos.
Makes 5 soft tacos.