Any Sonic Drive-In regular knows the three or four unique fountain drink favorites on the menu: there's the Limeade, the Diet Limeade, and, of course, the Cherry Limeade. But that bright blue stuff called Ocean Water has become a recent favorite for anyone who likes the taste of coconut—it's like pina colada soda. The server squirts a bit of blue coconut syrup into some cold Sprite. The big secret to duplicating this at home is re-creating that syrup. After that's done, make the drink as they do at the restaurant in less time than it takes to say, "Does my blue tongue clash with what I'm wearing?"
Source: Top Secret Recipes: Sodas, Smoothies, Spirits & Shakes by Todd Wilbur.
This recipe is available in
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon imitation coconut extract
- 2 drops blue food coloring
- 2 12-ounce cans cold Sprite
- Do This
1. Combine the water and the sugar in a small bowl. Microwave for 30 to 45 seconds, then stir to dissolve all of the sugar. Allow this syrup to cool.
2. Add the coconut extract and food coloring to the cooled syrup. Stir well.
3. Combine the syrup with two 12-ounce cans of cold Sprite. Divide and pour over ice. Add straws and serve.
Makes two 12-ounce servings.