Sizzler Chicken Club Sandwich
By Todd Wilbur
Del Johnson and his wife wanted the perfect single-word name for their new restaurant concept. "Something that would merchandise well," said Del. "In the old days, they served steaks on those sizzling platters. In a first class restaurant when you ordered a steak, they'd bring it out, put the butter on that steak and that plate was hot, it was aluminum and it would sizzle when they put it down in front of you. That's how we came up with the name. I knew we wanted to use those sizzling platters."
Eventually the restaurant would diversify the menu to include items other than sizzling steak. One of those on the menu today is the chicken club sandwich, which you can now easily duplicate at home.
Source: Top Secret Restaurant Recipes by Todd Wilbur.
This recipe is available in
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast half
- Vegetable oil
- 1 hamburger bun
- 1/4 cup chopped iceberg lettuce
- 1 slice Swiss cheese
- 2 slices bacon, cooked
- 1 small slice onion, separated
- 2 slices tomato
- 1/2 tablespoon Thousand Island dressing
- Do This
1. Prepare your barbecue or indoor grill to high heat.
2. Lightly brush the chicken breast with oil, and grill it over medium heat for 5 minutes per side or until done. Salt the chicken.
3. Brown the faces of the top and bottom bun in a skillet or griddle on your stovetop over medium heat.
4. Stack the sandwich in the following order from the bottom up:
a. bottom bun
c. chicken breast
d. Swiss cheese
g. tomato slices
5. Spread the Thousand Island dressing on the face of the top bun, and top off your sandwich with it.