jerry i h
Sep 7, 2008, 22:00
1) good flavor
2) as written, the texture is a chewy, caramel-y, not so good, but the flavor was fabulous
3) 2nd batch cooked to 305-310: pefection. Crispy, crunchy.
4) note to professional confectioners: this is just an ordinary toffee using 2xstrength coffee for the dissolving liquid. try: you will love it, and can charge mucho $$$ for it.
5) note to home cooks: the hot syrup + nuts is dangerous and can cause serious burns; suggest you wear gloves
6) I used a silicone spatula for stirring and spreading. Worked great.
Yummy. Now that I have eaten the batch I made for the party on the weekend, I will need to make another for them as I inhaled what I had made!
Great recipe - my husband will love these! I recommend adding cinnamon if you like even more cold-weather kick.
One problem: For folks who don't do as much cooking, the recipe should explicitly state if the "strong coffee or espresso" should be *prepared.* I bake and make candy regularly, so I could clearly see that the answer was yes...but this may not be obvious to everyone!