Rainforest Cafe Rumble In The Jungle Turkey Pita
By Todd Wilbur
No two Rainforest Cafés are the same. While they all include plant-covered walls and ceilings, waterfalls, starry skies, and live birds, you will find many unique features in each of the restaurants. The Las Vegas store includes an aquarium archway under which you must walk to enter the restaurant, and the original store in the Mall of America features a talking banyan tree spouting ecological messages twice a minute.
The turkey pita sandwich has been on the menu since the first restaurant opened in 1994, and our clone is a great way to use up your leftover Thanksgiving turkey and cranberry sauce. You can use full-fat Caesar dressing for this hack, just like the restaurant uses, and still keep the fat reasonably low. But if you use a tasty lower-fat substitute, you can knock those fat grams down even further.
Serving size–1 sandwich
Calories per serving–350
Fat per serving–13g
Source: Low-Fat Top Secret Recipes by Todd Wilbur.
This recipe is available in
- 1 16-ounce can whole berry cranberry relish
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup gold raisins
- 10 large leaves romaine lettuce, chopped (5 to 6 cups)
- 1/4 cup Caesar dressing
- 4 large pita breads
- 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced (16 slices)
- 1 cooked turkey breast, (about 12 ounces) chilled and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup French's French fried onions
- Do This
1. Prepare the cranberry relish, if you plan to use it, by combining all of the ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium/high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the mixture from the heat, and cool. Pour the mixture into a covered container and chill until cold.
2. Toss the lettuce with the Caesar dressing, in a large bowl.
3. Wrap the pitas in a moist towel and heat in the microwave on high for about 1 minute or until all of the pitas are hot.
4. To make a sandwich, fill the pita with about 1/4 the romaine lettuce.
5. Arrange four of the Roma tomato slices along one side of the pita.
6. Spoon 3 ounces (about 3/4 cup) of the turkey over the lettuce and tomato slices, then sprinkle 2 tablespoon of fried onions on top. Serve with cranberry relish on the side, if desired. Repeat for the remaining sandwiches.
Makes 4 sandwiches.
There are no reviews for this product yet...
I'm Todd Wilbur,
Chronic Food Hacker
For 30 years I've been deconstructing America's most iconic brand-name foods to make the best original clone recipes for you to use at home. Welcome to my lab.