Serving size–1 bar
Calories per serving–113
Fat per serving–1.8g
This recipe is available in
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup plus 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 3 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed skim milk
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 3 tablespoons low-fat (2% fat) milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Do This
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, whip the egg whites with an electric mixer until they become thick. Do not use a plastic bowl for this.
3. Add 1 cup of sugar to the egg whites and continue to beat until the mixture forms soft peaks.
4. Add the corn syrup, butter, condensed milk, egg substitute, low-fat milk, vanilla, and lemon extract to the mixture while beating.
5. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking soda.
6. While beating the wet mixture, slowly add the dry ingredients.
7. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch pan with a light coating of nonstick cooking spray. Be sure to coat the sides as well as the bottom of the pan. Dump about 3 tablespoons of sugar into the pan, then tilt and shake the pan so that a light layer of sugar coats the entire bottom of the pan and about halfway up the sides. Pour out the excess sugar.
8. Pour the batter into the pan, spreading it evenly around the inside. Sprinkle a light coating of sugar—about two tablespoons—over the entire top surface of the batter. Bake for 25 to 28 minutes or until the cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.
9. Remove the cake from the oven and turn it out onto a cooling rack. When the cake has cooled, place it onto a sheet of wax paper on a cutting board and slice across the cake 6 times, creating 7 even slices. Next, cut the cake lengthwise twice, into thirds, creating a total of 21 snack bars. When the bars have completely cooled, store them in a resealable plastic bag or an airtight container.
Makes 21 snack bars.