Mimi's Cafe Buttermilk Spice Muffins
By Todd Wilbur
The website for Mimi’s Café features a recipe that claims to duplicate the buttermilk spice muffins that are so popular at the restaurant chain, but I found the recipe there to be slightly lacking. While the recipe produced very good muffins, I discovered the website formula required more sugar, more nutmeg and the addition of salt to produce muffins that could be considered clones of the popular version baked fresh every day in Mimi’s kitchens. To make this recipe work best use a large (Texas-size) muffin pan and line each cup with large paper muffin cups. You could also make the muffins in a smaller, standard-size muffin pan by reducing the baking times by 5 to 10 minutes, and adding only 1 teaspoon of topping on the batter in each cup rather than the 2 teaspoons described here.
Source: Top Secret Restaurant Recipes 3 by Todd Wilbur.
This recipe is available in
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Do This
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Use an electric mixer on high speed to combine the sugar and butter in a large bowl. Mix for 30 seconds, then add the oil and eggs and mix until smooth and creamy.
3. Mix the flour with the baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, add the buttermilk, and mix until smooth, about 1 minute.
4. Pour the batter into a large muffin pan lined with large paper muffin cups.
5. Combine the topping ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons over the top of the batter in each muffin cup.
6. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the muffins are dark brown on top.
Makes 6 large muffins.