McDonald's Special Sauce (Big Mac Sauce)
By Todd Wilbur
A big part of the Big Mac's appeal is the tasty "secret" spread slathered onto both decks of the world's most popular double-decker hamburger. So what's so special about this sauce? It's basically just thousand island dressing, right? Pretty much. But this sauce has a bit more sweet pickle relish in it than a typical thousand island salad slather. Also, I found that this clone comes close to the original with the inclusion of French dressing. It's an important ingredient—ketchup just won't do it. That, along with a sweet-and-sour flavor combo from vinegar and sugar, makes this sauce go well on any of your home burger creations, whether they're Big Mac clones or not.
If you like this recipe, but don't feel like making it at home, buy it by the bottle with Todd Wilbur's McDonald's Special Burger Sauce.
Source: Even More Top Secret Recipes by Todd Wilbur.
This recipe is available in
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons French dressing (I use Kraft)
- 4 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon finely minced white onion
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Do This
1. Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Stir well.
2. Place the sauce in a covered container and refrigerate for several hours, or overnight, so that the flavors blend. Stir the sauce a couple of times as it chills.
Makes about 3/4 cup.
I'm Todd Wilbur,
Chronic Food Hacker
For 30 years I've been deconstructing America's most iconic brand-name foods to make the best original clone recipes for you to use at home. Welcome to my lab.