In March 1988 the first McDonald's in Belgrade,Yugoslavia, set an all-time opening-day record by running 6,000 people under the arches. In early 1990, when a Moscow McDonald's opened, it became the busiest in the world by serving more than 20,000 people in just the first month of operation. The McDonald's Rome franchise racks up annual sales of more than $11 million. And in August of 1992, the world's largest McDonald's opened in China. The Beijing McDonald's seats 700 people in 28,000 square feet. It has over 1,000 employees, and parking for 200 employee bicycles. McDonald's outlets dot the globe in fifty-two countries today, including Turkey, Thailand, Panama, El Salvador, Indonesia, and Poland. About 40 percent of the McDonald's that open today stand on foreign soil—that's more than 3,000 outlets.
Back in the United States, McDonald's serves one of every four breakfasts eaten out of the home. The Egg McMuffin sandwich was introduced in 1977 and has become a convenient breakfast-in-a-sandwich for millions. The name for the sandwich was not the brainstorm of a corporate think tank as you would expect, but rather a suggestion from ex-McDonald's chairman and CEO Fred Turner. He says his wife Patty came up with it.
You will need an empty clean can with the same diameter as an English muffin. A 6 1/2 ounce tuna can works well.
Source: Top Secret Recipes by Todd Wilbur.
This recipe is available in
- 1 English muffin
- 1 slice Canadian bacon
- 1 large the egg
- 1 slice American cheese
- Do This
1. Split the English muffin and brown each face in a hot pan. Set aside. Keep the pan on medium heat.
2. In a frying pan of boiling water, cook the Canadian bacon for 10 minutes.
3. Grease the inside of the can with shortening or coat with a nonstick spray.
4. Place the greased can in the hot pan over medium heat and crack the egg into the center.
5. Break the yolk. Lightly salt the egg.
6. When the surface of the egg begins to firm, cut around the inside of the can with a butter knife to free the edges.
7. Pull the can off the egg; turn the egg over and cook for 1 minute more.
8. Build the sandwich in the following stacking order from the bottom up:
bottom English muffin
top English muffin
9. Microwave for 15 to 20 seconds on high for uniform heating, if desired.
Makes 1 sandwich.
Tidbits: For a closer clone, use real American cheese slices, not processed cheese food.