McDonald's Breakfast Burrito Low-Fat
By Todd Wilbur
It was in the late seventies, shortly after McDonald's had introduced the Egg McMuffin, that the food giant realized the potential of a quick, drive-thru breakfast. Soon, the company had developed several breakfast selections, including the Big Breakfast with eggs, hash browns, and sausage. Eventually one out of every four breakfasts served out of the home would be served at McDonald's—an impressive statistic indeed. The newest kid on the McBreakfast block is this morning meal in a tortilla, first offered on the menu in the summer of 1991. The regular Breakfast Burrito has 19 grams of fat. To keep the energy up for your busy day, try out this version of the tasty breakfast meal with under 3 grams of fat.
Serving size–1 burrito
Calories per serving–202 (Original–320)
Fat per serving–2.5g (Original–19g)
Source: Top Secret Recipes Lite by Todd Wilbur.
This recipe is available in
- 4 ounces turkey sausage
- 1 tablespoon minced white onion
- 1/2 tablespoon minced mild green chilies
- 1 cup egg substitute
- Ground black pepper
- 4 8-inch fat-free flour tortillas
- 4 slices fat-free American cheese
On The Side
- Do This
1. Preheat a skillet over medium heat. Crumble the sausage into the pan, then add the onion. Saute the sausage and onion for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the sausage is browned.
2. Add the mild green chilies and continue to saute for 1 minute.
3. Pour the egg substitute into the pan and scramble the eggs with the sausage and vegetables. Salt and pepper to taste.
4. Heat up the tortillas by steaming them in the microwave in moist paper towels or a tortilla steamer for 20 to 30 seconds.
5. Break each slice of cheese in half and position two halves end-to-end in the middle of each tortilla.
6. To make the burrito, spoon 1/4 of the egg filling onto the cheese in a tortilla. Fold one side of the tortilla over the filling, then fold up about two inches of one end. Fold over the other side of the tortilla to complete the burrito. Serve hot with salsa on the side, if desired.
Makes 4 burritos.