It was in the late seventies, shortly after McDonald's introduced the Egg McMuffin, that the food giant realized the potential of a quick, drive-thru breakfast. Soon, the company had developed several new breakfast selections, including the Big Breakfast with eggs, hash browns, and sausage, and this morning meal in a tortilla, first offered on the menu in 1991. Try this McDonald’s Breakfast Burrito copycat recipe today.
Source: Even More Top Secret Recipes by Todd Wilbur.
This recipe is available in
- 4 ounces breakfast sausage
- 1 tablespoon minced white onion
- 1/2 tablespoon minced mild green chilies (canned)
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- Ground black pepper
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas
- 4 slices American cheese
On the Side
- Do This
1. Preheat a skillet over medium heat. Crumble the sausage into the pan, and add the onion. Saute the sausage and onion for 3 to 4 minutes or until the sausage is browned.
2. Add the mild green chilies and continue to saute for 1 minute.
3. Pour the beaten eggs into the pan and scramble the eggs with the sausage and vegetables. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
4. Heat up the tortilla by steaming them in the microwave in moist paper towels or in a tortilla steamer for 20 to 30 seconds.
5. Break each slice of cheese in half and position two halves end-to-end in the middle of each tortilla.
6. To make the burrito, spoon 1/4 of the egg filling onto the cheese in a tortilla. Fold one side of the tortilla over the filling, then fold up about 2 inches of one end. Fold over the other side of the tortilla to complete the burrito (one end should remain open). Serve hot with salsa on the side, if desired.
Makes 4 burritos.
I'm Todd Wilbur,
Chronic Food Hacker
For 30 years I've been deconstructing America's most iconic brand-name foods to make the best original clone recipes for you to use at home. Welcome to my lab.