McDonald's Arch Deluxe Reduced Fat
By Todd Wilbur
McDonald's introduced its new sandwich in 1996 with a $200 million marketing blitz aimed at winning over grown-ups. We watched Ronald McDonald golf, dance, and hang out with sophisticated human beings, rather than his usual gang of puppets. These messages were supposed to tug at the adult market lost to more inspired sandwich creations from chains like Wendy's and Arby's and Carl's Jr.
Did the campaign work? So far, the sales figures have been less than stellar for the burger with even more fat in it than a Big Mac. But the sandwich, with its specially developed Dijon mustard-mayo sauce, does have its share of devoted fans. Perhaps even more of us would get on Team Arch Deluxe if we could make a clone using reduced-fat ingredients to knock the fat down to nearly one-third that of the original, as I have here.
Serving size–1 burger
Calories per serving–430 (Original–550)
Fat per serving–11g (Original–31g)
Source: Low-Fat Top Secret Recipes by Todd Wilbur.
This recipe is available in
- 1 tablespoon fat-free mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon brown mustard (French's Hearty Deli is good)
- 1 sesame seed hamburger bun
- 1/4 pound super lean ground beef (7% fat)
- ground black pepper
- 1 slice fat-free American cheese
- 1 large tomato slice
- 1 to 2 iceberg lettuce leaves, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- Do This
1. In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise and the brown mustard. Set this mixture aside.
2. Grill the face of each of the buns on a griddle or frying pan over medium heat.
3. Roll the ground beef into a ball and pat it out until it's approximately the same diameter as the bun. You can freeze this patty before you cook it just like the restaurant chain does. This will also make it stay together better when it cooks.
4. Cook the meat on a hot griddle or saute pan for about 5 minutes per side until done. Be sure to lightly salt and pepper each side of the patty.
5. Build the burger in the following order, from the bottom up:
On Bottom Bun
American cheese slice
On Top Bun
6. Slap the top of the sandwich onto the bottom and serve. Microwave the sandwich on high for 15 seconds if you like the buns warm.
Makes 1 sandwich.
There are no reviews for this product yet...
I'm Todd Wilbur,
Chronic Food Hacker
For 30 years I've been deconstructing America's most iconic brand-name foods to make the best original clone recipes for you to use at home. Welcome to my lab.