Menu Description: “Topped with chili, cheese, guacamole, sour cream, jalapenos, tomato and scallions.”
This giant pile of nachos lives up to its name and these are by far the best nachos I have ever had at any casual chain. The secret is in the stacking of the ingredients. You start with a layer of yellow corn tortilla chips and then spoon on some creamy, slightly spicy nacho cheese. I found that Tostitos makes the perfect cheese for this: Tostitos Salsa Con Queso. More chips go on top, then more cheese, then more chips followed by chili and a shredded cheese blend. Use premade chili that can often be found in the deli section of your grocery store where the soups are sold. After the nachos are baked and the cheese is melted, diced tomato, green onion, sour cream, guacamole and jalapeno slices are added on top, and the party can now erupt.
Source: Top Secret Restaurant Recipes 3 by Todd Wilbur.
This recipe is available in
- 1 hass avocado
- 2 teaspoons diced yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon diced jalapeño
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound yellow corn tortilla chips
- 1 cup Tostitos Con Queso
- 1 cup chili (homemade or from the deli)
- 1 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese blend
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup diced green onion
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 12 to 15 canned jalapeno slices (nacho slices)
- Do This
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Make the guacamole by mashing the avocado in a medium bowl, then mixing in the other ingredients. Set aside.
3. Build the nachos on an oven-safe ceramic plate. First arrange one layer of tortilla chips on the plate. Spoon 1/2 cup of cheese sauce (Queso) over the chips. Arrange another layer of chops, followed by the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese sauce. Stack the remaining chips on the pile, followed by the chili and shredded cheese blend. Bake for 7 to 8 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and beginning to bubble.
4. Remove the nachos from the oven and pile the diced tomato on top, followed by the green onion.
5. Use an ice cream scoop to position scoops of the guacamole and sour cream side by side on top.
6. Pile the jalapeno slices on top of the guacamole and sour cream and serve pronto.
Serves 4 to 6.
Tidbits: You can make your own Chili with Todd's version of Red Robin's Homemade Chili.