In 1959, Michael Ilitch and his wife, Marian, opened the first Little Caesars restaurant in Garden City, Michigan, fifteen miles west of Detroit. Encouraged by their success, the couple opened a second restaurant two years later, and soon Little Caesar's Pizza was a household name in the Detroit area. Biographical material provided by the company claims that Ilitch "thinks pizza," and that when he designed the Little Caesars conveyor oven, the company was able to serve hot pizza faster than anyone else in the industry.
One of the most popular products available from Little Caesars is the Crazy Bread, first served in 1982. It's pizza dough cut into eight pieces, then coated with garlic salt, butter, and Parmesan cheese. This Little Caesars Crazy Bread recipe is made easy with a tube of Pillsbury pizza dough, which you slice into strips and bake.
Source: More Top Secret Recipes by Todd Wilbur.
This recipe is available in
- One 10-ounce tube Pillsbury pizza dough
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Grated Parmesan cheese (for topping)
- Do This
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Unroll the dough on a cutting board. Position it lengthwise (longer from left to right than top to bottom). With a sharp knife (or a pizza slicer), cut the dough in half down the middle. Then cut each of those halves vertically in half, and then in half once more so that you have 8 even strips of dough. Cut each of those pieces in half and gently roll each one into the shape of a bread stick that is about 6 inches long.
3. Being careful not to stretch the dough, place each bread stick seam-side-down on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the top just turns light brown.
4. While the dough bakes, melt the butter (on the stove or in the microwave on high for 15 to 20 seconds), then add the garlic salt and stir until it dissolves.
5. Remove the browned dough from the oven and with a pastry brush or spoon spread a coating of garlic butter over each piece.
6. Sprinkle a generous amount of Parmesan cheese on each.
Makes 16 pieces.