KFC Original Recipe Fried Chicken Low-Fat/Low-Calorie
By Todd Wilbur
For his show, Dr. Oz challenged me to design a new version of KFC Original Recipe Chicken with fewer calories and half the fat. You might be surprised to see what I came up with to replace the MSG (it's fish sauce!)—but you will not be disappointed with the tasty results.
Todd's Dr. Oz Clone
Calories–200 each thigh / 290 each breast
Fat–9g / 10g
Calories–250 each thigh / 360 each breast
Fat–17g / 21g
This recipe is available in
- 8 small pieces of chicken, breast, thigh, and drumsticks, with skin removed
- 8 cups water
- 1/3 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons premium, MSG-free fish sauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups plain bread crumbs
- 4 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely ground tellicherry pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground savory
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups skim milk
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- Do This
1. Dissolve 1/3 cup salt in 8 cups water. Stir in fish sauce. Add chicken and marinate for 2 hours. Remove chicken from brine, rinse with water, and blot dry.
2. Preheat oven to 375° F. Make the breading by combining all ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and then stir in the milk.
3. When the oven is hot, dip each piece of chicken in the egg and milk mixture and then press into the breading. Toss each chicken piece in the breading until well-coated.
4. Let chicken sit for 2 minutes in the breading. Shake off the excess breading and arrange on a baking sheet that has been thoroughly sprayed with vegetable oil non-stick spray.
5. When all of the chicken has been breaded, spray each piece with the oil spray until the breading is completely moistened. Bake chicken for 40 to 45 minutes or until it’s nicely browned.