KFC Original Recipe Fried Chicken Low-Fat/Low-Calorie
By Todd Wilbur
For his show, Dr. Oz challenged me to design a new version of KFC Original Recipe Chicken with fewer calories and half the fat. You might be surprised to see what I came up with to replace the MSG (it's fish sauce!)—but you will not be disappointed with the tasty results.
Todd's Dr. Oz Clone
Calories–200 each thigh / 290 each breast
Fat–9g / 10g
Calories–250 each thigh / 360 each breast
Fat–17g / 21g
This recipe is available in
- 8 small pieces of chicken, breast, thigh, and drumsticks, with skin removed
- 8 cups water
- 1/3 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons premium, MSG-free fish sauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups plain bread crumbs
- 4 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely ground tellicherry pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground savory
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups skim milk
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- Do This
1. Prepare the sauce by combining all the dry ingredients in a small bowl. Add the oil and stir until combined then pour the sauce into a squirt bottle. You can also use a spouted cup, such as a measuring cup, to pour the sauce over the chicken, but a squirt bottle will work best. Let the sauce sit for at least 30 minutes before using it so that the oil is infused with flavor. The longer it sits, the better it gets.
2. Prepare the chicken from the recipe for KFC Extra Crispy Fried Chicken, or bake or fry pre-breaded crispy frozen chicken pieces.
3. While the chicken is warm, shake the sauce in the squirt bottle (or stir it if using a spouted measuring cup), then apply the sauce over the top each piece of chicken until it is completely covered.
4. Add one pickle slice on top of each piece of chicken and serve hot.