Kellogg's Cocoa Rice Krispies Treats
It's the Rice Krispies Treat for chocolate lovers. By replacing regular Rice Krispies with Kellogg's Cocoa Krispies, then adding a bit of cocoa to the recipe, we can clone the exact flavor of the product you otherwise have to buy in boxes. This recipe makes 16 of the crispy brown bars, or the equivalent of two boxes of the real thing.
Source: Even More Top Secret Recipes by Todd Wilbur.
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons cocoa
- 6 cups Cocoa Krispies cereal
- Non-stick cooking spray
1. Combine margarine and salt in a large saucepan over low heat.
2. When margarine has melted, add the marshmallows and vanilla and stir until the marshmallows have melted. Add the cocoa and stir well. Remove from the heat.
3. Add the Cocoa Krispies and stir until the cereal is well coated with the melted marshmallow mixture.
4. Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with a light coating of non-stick cooking spray. Pour the mixture into the dish and, using wax paper or lightly greased hands, press down until it's flat in the dish. Cool. Slice into 16 bars.
Makes 16 bars.
For over 30 years I've been deconstructing America's most iconic brand-name foods to make the best original clone recipes for you to use at home. Welcome to my lab.