Even though the early press runs of the first book, Top Secret Recipes, excluded buttermilk in this recipe—a very important ingredient if you really want pourable batter—many figured out the missing ingredient on their own and the error was quickly corrected in later copies. Now we just like to call those copies of the book the "Collector's Editions." For any of you who were lucky enough to get one of the "Collector's Editions" we'd like to say "Congratulations!" Now here's the recipe—with the complete list of ingredients—to make pancakes just like those served every day at IHOP.
Source: Top Secret Recipes by Todd Wilbur.
This recipe is available in
- Nonstick Spray
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Do This
1. Preheat a skillet over medium heat. Use a pan with a nonstick surface or apply a little nonstick spray.
2. In a blender or with a mixer, combine all of the remaining ingredients until smooth.
3. Ladle approximately 1/3 cup of the batter into the hot skillet, forming 5-inch circles.
4. When the edges appear to firm up, after a minute or two, flip the pancakes. They should be golden brown.
5. Cook the pancakes on the other side for the same amount of time, until golden brown.
Makes 8 to 10 pancakes.