Healthy Choice Chunky Tomato, Mushroom and Garlic Pasta Sauce
By Todd Wilbur
Healthy Choice was one of the first low-fat brands to hit the stores. The Wall Street Journal reported in 1993, "When Healthy Choice dinners first arrived in stores, big competitors were caught off guard: nothing quite like it had ever been marketed on a large scale." But nowadays the competition ain't so lean. You'll find more than a dozen brands devoted to the same low-fat, healthy claims in stores, all fighting it out for shelf space and market share.
If you like your marinara sauce with big chunks of veggies in it, then this is the one you'll want to make. The canned tomatoes, plus fresh mushrooms, onion, and garlic make for a thicker sauce that works great over your favorite pasta dish.
Servings size–1/2 cup
Calories per serving–45
Fat per serving–0g
Source: Low-Fat Top Secret Recipes by Todd Wilbur.
This recipe is available in
- 2 10 3/4-ounce cans tomato puree
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chopped canned tomatoes
- 3/4 cup sliced white button mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup minced white onion
- 5 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch ground pepper
- Do This
1. Combine all of the ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium/high heat and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the sauce is thick.
Makes 2 1/2 cups.
There are no reviews for this product yet...
I'm Todd Wilbur,
Chronic Food Hacker
For 30 years I've been deconstructing America's most iconic brand-name foods to make the best original clone recipes for you to use at home. Welcome to my lab.