Hard Rock Cafe Filet Steak Sandwich
By Todd Wilbur
Menu Description: "Filet mignon grilled to perfection, sliced thin, with shredded lettuce, tomato and spicy mustard. Served on a sourdough French roll with fries and a salad."
When the first Hard Rock Cafe opened in 1971 on Old Park Lane in London, England, not one guitar or gold record decorated the walls. The burger joint was the inspiration of two Americans, Peter Morton and Isaac Tigrett, who couldn't find a decent American style hamburger anywhere in London and decided to do something about it. The restaurant soon became famous only for its food, until along came Eric Clapton, who donated his guitar as a joke. Up on the wall it went. Not wanting to be outdone, Pete Townsend of The Who soon offered up a guitar of his own to be hung on the wall next to Clapton's with a note: "Mine's as good as his." That started a wave of donations from rock and rollers through the decades, and thus was born the world's first theme restaurant. Soon more Hard Rock Cafes were opening around the world, with the first one in America opening in Los Angeles in 1982. After that came New York City, San Francisco, Chicago, Houston, New Orleans, Maui, Las Vegas, Aspen, Newport Beach, and many more. The success of the Hard Rock Cafe spawned a trend which now includes other restaurants built around themes ranging from movies to fashion to motorcycles to blues.
Here is an easy-to-make sandwich that features tender slices of filet mignon. It's a clone of one of the Hard Rock's more popular recent additions to the menu. This recipe suggests another way you can serve the filet mignons you've been saving in the freezer.
This recipe is available in
- 2 6-to 8-ounce filet mignon steaks
- Ground black pepper
- 2 sourdough French rolls
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons spicy mustard
- 6 slices tomato
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- Do This
Restaurant/BrandHard Rock Cafe
1. Preheat the barbecue or stovetop grill to med/high.
2. Since most filets are usually cut pretty thick (1 inch or more) you will want to slice your filets through the middle before grilling, making four thinner filets that are around 1/2 inch each.
3. Cook your filets over a hot grill for 2 to 4 minutes per side or until cooked to your preference. Be sure to salt and pepper both sides of each filet.
4. As the meat cooks, prepare your rolls by slicing them into top and bottom halves, then brown the faces of the rolls in a skillet over medium heat.
5. Spread the mayonnaise on the face of each top half.
6. Spread the mustard onto the face of each bottom half.
7. When the filets are done, slice them into 1/2-inch thick strips.
8. Arrange the sliced filets evenly over the mustard on each bottom roll.
9. Place the tomato slices over the filets.
10. Put the shredded lettuce on top of the tomatoes.
11. Place the top rolls on the lettuce and slice the sandwiches diagonally into two even halves. Hold each sandwich half together with toothpicks to serve.
Makes 2 sandwiches.