How would you like this job? Three times a day, each day, the chief bakers at Entenmann's gather in "scoring sessions," where they taste and rate products that come off the factory line. If a product they taste doesn't earn at least an 8 out of 10 rating, it never makes it onto a delivery truck.
In the last ten years, Entenmann's has become known as a company that makes delicious baked fat-free products that do not taste fat-free. Today the company boasts around 50 products that carry the low-fat and fat-free labels. One of those products is the delicious pound cake, called Golden Loaf, cloned with this recipe. It makes an excellent dessert or snack when sliced with strawberries and low-fat whipped topping, or beneath a big scoop of light ice cream. I've also included this recipe to use with one of my favorites: the reduced-fat tiramisu.
However you decide to serve this versatile dessert, you will amaze your guests when you tell them it's fat-free fare. And, yes, I realize that the reduced-fat yellow cake mix contains fat, but we have stretched out the product with cake flour so that each slice of these cakes (the recipe makes two) contains less than 1/2 gram.
Serving size–1.7 oz slice
Calories per serving–106
Fat per serving–0g
Source: Top Secret Recipes Lite by Todd Wilbur.
- 1 18.25-ounce package reduced-fat yellow cake mix
- 3/4 cup cake flour (unsifted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons Butter Buds Sprinkles
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1 2/3 cups water
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Mix together all the ingredients in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed.
3. Spray two 9x5-inch loaf pans with nonstick spray. Pour half of the batter into each pan and bake for 25 minutes. Using a knife, slice down the middle of each cake (about 1/2-inch into the cake). This will give the cakes the same look on top as the original. Bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cakes are golden brown on top. Cut each cake into 13 slices.
Makes 2 pound cakes, 13 slices each.
For 30 years I've been deconstructing America's most iconic brand-name foods to make the best original clone recipes for you to use at home. Welcome to my lab.