Dive! Brick Oven Mushroom and Turkey Cheese Sub
By Todd Wilbur
Menu Description: "Our fresh roasted turkey, brick oven roasted seasonal mushrooms with white Cheddar cheese and melted Swiss cheese. Served Hot."
Although not intended to be a restaurant where sightseeers are encouraged to catch a glimpse of celebrities, many stars were spotted at the L.A. location of this trendy theme eatery. Through the "hatch" walked the likes of Candice Bergen, Warren Beatty, Michael Keaton, Tom Hanks, Michael Douglas, and Rob Reiner. Pierce Brosnan and Henry Winkler were regulars, and for some time co-founder Steven Spielberg could be seen eating there weekly. Today, the only way to experience food from this now defunt chain is to clone it at home. Sadly, you won't spot many celebrities in your kitchen.
For this sandwich, inspired by Dive!'s popular Brick Oven Mushroom and Turkey Cheese Sub, you will likely not have the luxury of a brick oven to roast the mushrooms, but I've found the recipe is just as tasty as the real thing with sauteed mushrooms. It's important that you find the freshest bread your market has available, and if possible, get the turkey sliced for you at a full-service deli counter. A sandwich is only as good and as fresh as its ingredients, so try to find the best your market has to offer.
Source: Top Secret Restaurant Recipes by Todd Wilbur.
This recipe is available in
White Cheddar Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 to 2 ounces white Cheddar cheese, grated or chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 mushrooms, sliced (1/2 cup to 3/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 ounces deli-sliced, roasted turkey breast
- 1/4 cup White Cheddar Dipping Sauce
- 1 7-inch baguette, sliced open
- 2 ounces Swiss cheese, sliced
- Do This
1. Combine the ingredients for the White Cheddar Dipping Sauce in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. By then the sauce should have thickened.
2. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
3. Saute the mushroom slices in the butter. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Heat the roasted turkey breast in a microwave oven or in another pan until warm.
5. Heat the White Cheddar Dipping Sauce until it's hot, if it's not hot already.
6. Split the baguette without cutting all of the way through. Hinge the bread open and spread some of the cheese sauce on the faces of the bread.
7. Load the turkey breast into the sliced baguette. Salt and pepper it.
8. Pour the remaining cheese sauce over the turkey.
9. Spread the mushrooms over the cheese sauce.
10. Bake the open sandwich for 4 minutes. Put the Swiss cheese on top of the other ingredients and bake for 2 minutes more, or just until the cheese is melted. Slice the sandwich in half before serving.
Makes 1 sandwich.
There are no reviews for this product yet...
I'm Todd Wilbur,
Chronic Food Hacker
For 30 years I've been deconstructing America's most iconic brand-name foods to make the best original clone recipes for you to use at home. Welcome to my lab.