Menu Description: "A Denny's original. Sliced turkey breast with Swiss cheese, bacon and tomato on grilled sourdough. Served with French Fries and pickle chips."
Now you can munch down your own clone of this popular palate pleaser, The Super Bird, a cross between a grilled cheese and a club, and Denny's top-selling sandwich. When shopping for sourdough bread, try to find a high-quality loaf with large slices. The thin-sliced turkey breast is best purchased at your market's deli service counter where they cut it while you wait. If you don't have a service counter like this near your house, you can use the prepackaged thin-sliced meats located in the cold deli section. Or you can move.
Source: Top Secret Restaurant Recipes by Todd Wilbur.
- 3 ounces deli-sliced turkey breast
- 2 large slices sourdough bread
- Butter, softened
- 2 slices processed Swiss cheese (Kraft Singles)
- 2 slices bacon, cooked
- 2 slices tomato
On the side
- French fries
1. Heat a skillet or saute pan over medium heat. Grill the stack of turkey breast in the pan without separating the stack until the meat is golden brown on both sides.
2. While the turkey is browning, butter one side of each slice of sourdough bread. Place one slice of bread in the pan, buttered side down.
3. Place the 2 slices of Swiss cheese on the unbuttered side of the bread grilling in the pan.
4. Put the stack of turkey breast slices on the Swiss cheese. Sprinkle with a bit of salt.
5. Place the cooked bacon on the turkey breast.
6. Stack the tomato slices on the bacon next.
7. Top off the sandwich with the remaining slice of sourdough bread. Be sure to place the bread with the unbuttered side facing the tomato slices.
Makes 1 sandwich.
For over 30 years I've been deconstructing America's most iconic brand-name foods to make the best original copycat recipes for you to use at home. Welcome to my lab.