Cracker Barrel Eggs-in-the-Basket
Menu Description:"Two slices of sourdough bread grilled with an egg in the middle, served with thick-sliced bacon or smoked sausage patties and fried apples or hash brown casserole."
Breakfast is a popular meal at Cracker Barrel restaurants. Just to prove it, the restaurant has some amazing statistics printed on the back of their breakfast menus: "Each Spring 607,142 Sugar Maple Trees must be tapped to produce enough pure maple syrup for our guests;" "It takes 5,615,000,000 (THAT'S BILLION!) coffee beans each year to satisfy our guests' need for coffee. Each tree produces only 1 pound of coffee per year, that's 1,560,000 trees."
This recipe is a classic egg-in-the-hole recipe that I used to make all the time as a kid. I thought my family invented it.
- 2 thick slices sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- Salt to taste
On the side
- Thick-sliced bacon
1. Heat a large saucepan or griddle over medium heat.
2. Spread the butter evenly over one face of each slice of bread.
3. Use a biscuit cutter or any jar or container you can find with a diameter of about 2 1/4 inches to cut a circle out of the center of each slice of bread.
4. Grill the bread and the hole you cut out, butter side down, in the hot pan for 2 minutes or until it just starts to turn brown.
5. Drop a little butter in the hole of each slice of bread, then carefully crack an egg into each hole. Be sure not to break the yolks. Salt lightly.
6. When the eggs have cooked for 1 to 2 minutes, carefully flip each one over without breaking the yolks or flinging egg all over your stovetop. Also, flip the cut-out "holes."
7. Cook for another minute or so until the eggs are cooked the way you like them. Serve the eggs, grilled bread, and "holes" with hash browns or Hash Brown Casserole, and bacon or sausage.
For 30 years I've been deconstructing America's most iconic brand-name foods to make the best original clone recipes for you to use at home. Welcome to my lab.