Everyone seems to love these delicious mashed potatoes at the "Fresh Mex" Mexican Food chain. Sure, mashed potatoes may seem like a healthy side dish, but when the traditional recipe includes cream and butter, it's easy to consume more than just a few grams of fat in one small serving.
This fat-crushing hack proves that mashed potatoes don't have to include fat to taste good.
Serving size–1 1/4 cups
Calories per serving–285 (Original–338)
Fat per serving–0g (Original–9g)
Source: Low-Fat Top Secret Recipes by Todd Wilbur.
This recipe is available in
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon fat-free butter-flavored spread
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (3 to 4 cloves)
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Do This
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Bake the potatoes by first spraying them with oil cooking spray and then baking them in the preheated oven for 1 hour or until they are tender. Cool.
3. Remove about half of the skin and mash the potatoes. Leave the rest of the skin in.
4. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, then add the garlic and saute for 5 minutes.
5. Add the potatoes and remaining ingredients to the pan and cook for 5 to 10 minutes while stirring often until the mashed potatoes are very hot.