Here's a clone for a sandwich that America's number-two burger chain introduced in 1990, and soon after the launch was selling over a million a day. This was the same year that Burger King switched from animal fat to vegetable oil to cook the fried items. But, even though the BK Broiler includes flame-broiled chicken, rather than fried, it still comes with 29 grams. A big part of that comes from the mayonnaise. So, by replacing the regular mayonnaise with fat-free mayo and by not adding any additional fats, we can produce a sandwich that will taste like a BK Broiler, yet have less than one-quarter of the fat and fewer calories.
Serving size–1 sandwich
Calories per serving–335 (Original–550)
Fat per serving–6g (Original–29g)
Source: Top Secret Recipes Lite by Todd Wilbur.
This recipe is available in
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch onion powder
- Pinch dried parsley
- 2 chicken breast fillets
- 4 sesame seed hamburger buns
- 1 1/3 cups chopped iceberg lettuce
- 1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 8 tomato slices
- Do This
1. Make the marinade by combining the ingredients in a medium bowl.
2. Prepare the chicken by cutting each breast in half. Fold a piece of plastic wrap around each piece of chicken and pound the meat with a tenderizing mallet until it is about 1/4-inch thick and about the same diameter as the hamburger buns. Place the chicken in the marinade, cover it, and chill for at least four hours. Overnight is even better.
3. Preheat your barbecue or indoor grill to high heat. Grill the chicken for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until done.
4. Toast the faces of the hamburger buns in a pan or griddle, in a toaster oven, or face down on the grill. Watch the buns closely to be certain that the faces only turn lightly brown and do not burn.
5. Build each sandwich from the top down by first spreading about a tablespoon of the fat-free mayonnaise on the toasted face of a top bun.
6. Spread about 1/3 cup of chopped lettuce over the mayonnaise.
7. Arrange two tomato slices on the lettuce.
8. Place a chicken breast on the toasted face of the bottom bun.
9. Flip the top part of the sandwich over onto the bottom and munch out.