Here's an awesome kitchen clone for a selection off of Arby's 3-item "Light Menu." As other fast food chains were zigging by creating giant gooey burgers with fat grams in the 40-plus range, this 3,100-outlet roast beef sandwich chain opted to zag, offering a selection of scrumptious sandwiches with only 6 to 10 grams of fat each.
The secret to recreating the special Arby's taste in the Roast Chicken Deluxe is the marinade. Let your chicken soak in it for several hours, or even overnight. It also helps if you have a meat slicer to get that paper-thin, deli-style cut to the chicken. If you don't have a slicer, do what I do. Use the "poor man's meat slicer," otherwise known as a very sharp knife and a steady hand.
Serving size–1 sandwich
Calories per serving–201
Fat per serving–6.5g
Source: Top Secret Recipes Lite by Todd Wilbur.
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon savory
- Pinch garlic powder
- 2 chicken breast fillets
- Butter-flavored spray or spread
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
1. First, make the marinade for the chicken breasts. In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the marinade and stir well. Add the chicken breasts to the bowl and cover. Marinate the chicken for several hours. Overnight is even better.
2. When you are ready to make the sandwiches, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prepare to roast the chicken breasts by removing them from the marinade and placing them in a foil-lined baking pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, slice each breast very thinly with a sharp knife. If you have a meat slicer, that works even better.
3. Preheat a frying pan or griddle to medium heat. Apply butter-flavored spread or spray to the faces of the top and bottom wheat buns. Grill the bun faces lightly on the hot cooking surface until light brown.
4. Build each sandwich by first placing one-quarter of the sliced chicken on the bottom bun.
5. Spread mayonnaise on the face of the top bun.
6. Invert the top bun. On the bun, stack a tomato slice or two, then 1/4 cup of lettuce on top of that.
7. Slap the top portion of the sandwich onto the bottom and serve while the chicken is still warm. Repeat the process to make the remaining sandwiches.
Makes 4 sandwiches.
For over 30 years I've been deconstructing America's most iconic brand-name foods to make the best original clone recipes for you to use at home. Welcome to my lab.