Applebee's Low-Fat Veggie Quesadilla
By Todd Wilbur
Menu Description: "Fresh mushrooms, red pepper, onion, broccoli, & carrots smothered in nonfat shredded Cheddar/mozzarella blend & sandwiched between two wheat tortillas. Served with fat-free sour cream & shredded lettuce. Less than 10 grams of fat."
The TSR version of this tasty favorite appetizer comes in with a fat gram count that's even lower than the original, at only 6 grams. The fat-free cheese is where you're spared the major fat gram dosage. And the fat-free sour cream on the side, which nicely completes this guilt-free veggie-filled finger food, certainly helps to keep the waistline in check.
Serving size–1/2 quesadilla
Calories per serving–274
Fat per serving–6g
Source: Top Secret Recipes Lite by Todd Wilbur.
This recipe is available in
- 1/2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/3 cup shredded carrot
- 1/3 cup chopped broccoli
- 2 tablespoons diced onion
- 1 tablespoon diced red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Pinch black pepper
- Pinch salt
- 2 10-inch whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1/4 cup shredded fat-free Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded fat-free mozzarella cheese
- Nonstick cooking spray
On the Side
- Fat-free sour cream
- Pace Picante salsa
- Shredded lettuce
- Do This
1. In a frying pan that has a bigger diameter than the tortillas, saute the vegetables in the oil over medium/high heat for 5 to 7 minutes. Season with soy sauce, peppers, and salt.
2. Pour the vegetables into a bowl, and place the frying pan back on the heat, but reduce the heat to medium/low.
3. Place one of the tortillas in the pan, and sprinkle half of the cheeses on the tortilla. Spread the vegetables over the cheese, then sprinkle the rest of the cheeses over the vegetables. Put the second tortilla on top, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until heated through and the cheese is melted. Flip the quesadilla over and cook it for 1 to 2 more minutes.
4. Slide the quesadilla onto a cutting board and slice it like a pizza into 6 equal pieces. Serve hot with fat-free sour cream, salsa, and shredded lettuce on the side.
Serves 2 as an appetizer.
I'm Todd Wilbur,
Chronic Food Hacker
For 30 years I've been deconstructing America's most iconic brand-name foods to make the best original clone recipes for you to use at home. Welcome to my lab.