Applebee's Low-Fat and Fabulous Brownie Sundae
By Todd Wilbur
The Applebee's chain is now the world's largest casual dining restaurant, with over one thousand units in seven countries and forty-eight states. In less than four years, the chain has doubled in size. That's great if you're a restaurant chain, but put enough fat-filled desserts in your belly and you'll double in size, too. That's why we're happy to see items like this one on the menu. It tastes like a decadent, guilty pleasure, but it actually contains only four grams of fat per serving. That's possible because the brownie "pie" is made in a special way using a combination of low-fat and fat-free chocolates, some egg whites, and just a bit of shortening. Grab yourself some fat-free frozen yogurt, and share this one with eight hungry friends.
Serving size–1 dessert
Calories per serving–424
Fat per serving–4g
Source: Low-Fat Top Secret Recipes by Todd Wilbur.
This recipe is available in
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup Hershey's chocolate syrup
- 1/2 cup fudge topping
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons chopped walnuts
- 9 scoops fat-free vanilla frozen yogurt
- Hershey's chocolate syrup, heated
- Do This
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Make the brownie cake by whipping the egg whites in a large bowl (not plastic) with an electric mixer until they become thick.
3. Add the sugar to the egg whites and continue beating until the mixture forms soft peaks.
4. To the egg white and sugar mixture, add the shortening, chocolate syrup, fudge, water, and vanilla.
5. In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa, salt, and baking soda.
6. While beating the wet mixture, slowly add the dry mixture and mix until smooth.
7. Lightly grease an 8-inch cake pan with shortening. Pour the brownie batter into the pan and sprinkle the chopped walnuts over the top. Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick poked into the center comes out clean.
8. When the brownie cake has cooled a bit, slice it into 9 equal pie-shaped portions.
9. Arrange a slice of the low-fat brownie cake on a plate next to a scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt.
10. Drizzle the warmed chocolate sauce over the top of the brownie and frozen yogurt, and serve.
Makes 9 servings.
I'm Todd Wilbur,
Chronic Food Hacker
For 30 years I've been deconstructing America's most iconic brand-name foods to make the best original clone recipes for you to use at home. Welcome to my lab.