Tony Roma's Maple Sweet Potatoes
Here's a hack for a new menu item at Tony Roma's that's served alongside the Carolina Honeys BBQ Salmon. To make Tony Roma's maple sweet potatoes at home, you simply combine maple syrup, cinnamon and pecans with sweet potatoes, for an irresistible side dish just like the original.
Source: Top Secret Restaurant Recipes 2 by Todd Wilbur.
- 1 large sweet potato (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 of a white onion, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Bake sweet potato for 40 to 45 minutes at 400 degrees F. This will bake the potato nearly all the way through, but leave it firm enough to slice when cool. Remove the sweet potato from the oven and let it cool so that you can handle it. When the sweet potato has cooled, remove the skin and slice it into 1-inch bite-size cubes.
2. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and pecans and saute for a couple minutes or until onion slices begin to brown.
3. Add sliced sweet potato, maple syrup and cinnamon and saute for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring often, or until the sweet potato pieces are hot and tender.
Serves 2 to 4.
For over 30 years I've been deconstructing America's most iconic brand-name foods to make the best original clone recipes for you to use at home. Welcome to my lab.