- New Recipes
- Restaurant Recipes
- A - E
- Carl's Jr.
- Carl's Jr. Bacon Swiss Crispy Chicken Sandwich Reduced-Fat
Carl's Jr. Bacon Swiss Crispy Chicken Sandwich Reduced-Fat
Helping Carl's Jr. rebound from its sales slump was a series of TV commercials featuring over sauced sandwiches that splattered ketchup and mayo onto floors, clothes, and shoes. The tag line, "If it doesn't get all over the place, it doesn't belong in your face," made sloppy synonymous with tasty.
If you look forward to messing up your clean clothes but don't need all the saturated fat that usually comes with this drippy fare, you'll want to try my reduced fat Carl's Jr. Bacon Swiss Crispy Chicken Sandwich recipe below. The fat-free ranch dressing saves you from oodles of nasty fat grams, and then the special baking technique that clones the taste and texture of deep-frying eliminates a bunch more.
Serving size–1 sandwich
Calories per serving–660 (Original–720)
Fat per serving–19g (Original–36g)
Source: Low-Fat Top Secret Recipes by Todd Wilbur.
Fat-Free Ranch Dressing
- 1/2 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/16 teaspoon dried dillweed
- Pinch garlic
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 8 slices turkey bacon, cooked
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teapoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 skinless chicken breast fillets
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 4 sesame seed hamburger buns
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 tomato slices
- 4 Kraft fat-free Swiss cheese singles
1. Prepare the ranch dressing by combining the ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and chill.
2. Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
3. Cook the bacon following directions on package. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
4. Combine the egg substitute and water in a large, shallow bowl.
5. Combine the flour, salt, paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder in another shallow bowl.
6. Cut each chicken breast in half across the middle, and then wrap the halves, one at a time, in plastic wrap. Pound each one with a mallet until it is about 1/4 inch thick. Trim each fillet until it is round.
7. Working with one fillet at a time, first coat each fillet with the flour, then dredge it in the egg and water mixture. Coat the chicken once again in the flour, and set it aside until all of the fillets have been breaded.
8. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray the foil with a generous coating of cooking oil. Place the chicken fillets on the baking sheet, then coat each one with a coating of cooking spray.
9. Bake the fillets for 12 minutes, then crank the oven up to broil for 4 to 5 minutes, then flip the chicken over and broil for another 2 to 4 minutes or until the chicken is browned and crispy on both sides.
10. As chicken is cooking, prepare each sandwich by grilling the face of the hamburger buns on a hot skillet over medium heat. Spread about 1 1/2 teaspoons of the ranch dressing on the face of the top and bottom buns.
11. On the bottom bun, stack a leaf of lettuce and tomato slice.
12. When the chicken is done cooking, place a fillet over the tomato onto the bottom of the sandwich, then stack a slice of the fat-free Swiss cheese onto the chicken.
13. Arrange the bacon, crosswise, on top of the Swiss cheese, then top off the sandwich with the top bun. Repeat the stacking process for each of the remaining sandwiches.
Makes 4 sandwiches.
For over 30 years I've been deconstructing America's most iconic brand-name foods to make the best original copycat recipes for you to use at home. Welcome to my lab.
Monthly TSR Club
Domino's Loaded Tots