Here's another very popular Denny's creation. This 20-year-old menu item can be easily converted to a reduced-fat version by substituting fat-free cheese and turkey bacon. When shopping for that bacon, I've found that Butterball makes one of the best turkey bacons around—it tastes just like the pork version. Then get yourself some low-fat turkey breast form the supermarket deli counter or prepackaged near the other luncheon meats. A little butter-flavored spray and a hot skillet on the stove, and you're on your way to reducing the fat by around by 60 percent. Now that's super.
Serving size–1 sandwich
Calories per serving–425 / Original–565
Fat per serving–8.5 g / Original–22 g
Source: Top Secret Recipes Lite by Todd Wilbur.
- 3 ounces low-fat deli-sliced turkey breast
- 2 large slices sourdough bread
- Fat-free butter-flavored spray
- 2 slices Kraft Fat-Free Swiss Cheese singles
- 2 slices turkey bacon, cooked (Butterball is best)
- 2 slices tomato
1. Heat a saute pan or griddle pan over medium heat. Grill the stack of turkey breast in the pan, without separating the stack, until the meat is light brown on both sides.
2. While the turkey is browning, lightly coat one side of a slice of bread with the butter-flavored spray. Place the bread, sprayed side down, in the pan next to the turkey to grill.
3. Arrange the slices of cheese on the face-up, unbuttered side of the bread in the pan.
4. When the turkey has browned, arrange it on top of the cheese. Salt the turkey to taste.
5. Arrange the cooked bacon side-by-side on top of the turkey.
6. Stack the tomato slices side-by-side on top of the bacon.
7. Top off the sandwich with the remaining slice of sourdough bread. Spray a light coating of butter-flavored spray over the surface of the top slice of bread.
8. When the surface of the bottom slice of bread has grilled to a light brown, flip the sandwich over to grill the top for about 2 minutes or until golden brown.
9. With a sharp knife, slice the sandwich twice at a slight angle, creating three equal-size slices. Serve hot.
Makes 1 sandwich.
For over 30 years I've been deconstructing America's most iconic brand-name foods to make the best original copycat recipes for you to use at home. Welcome to my lab.