The world’s most famous melon liqueur can be imitated at home by pureeing fresh honeydew melon. After the liqueur sits for a week or so, strain out the melon, put on your drinking cap, and thoroughly enjoy.
Source: Top Secret Recipes: Sodas, Smoothies, Spirits & Shakes by Todd Wilbur.
- 1 cup pureed honeydew melon
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup 80-proof vodka
- 4 drops green food coloring
- 3 drops yellow food coloring
1. Puree the honeydew melon by first slicing 1/4 of the melon away from the rind. Remove the seeds and then slice the melon into big chunks. Put the chunks into a medium bowl and mash with a potato masher to create some juice. Pour the mashed melon and juice into a blender and blend on medium speed for 10 to 15 seconds or until pureed. Measure 1 cup of melon into a jar with a lid.
2. Add sugar, vodka, and food coloring to the jar. Cover and shake until sugar is dissolved.
3. Store liqueur at room temperature for a week, then strain the melon pulp from the liquid by pouring it through a paper towel–lined strainer.
Makes 2 cups.
For over 30 years I've been deconstructing America's most iconic brand-name foods to make the best original clone recipes for you to use at home. Welcome to my lab.