Now you can make a home clone for this refreshing citrus beverage in no time at all. Just add lemon and lime juice to a syrup solution, along with a little Kool-Aid lemonade drink mix for that special tang thanks to included citric acid, and you're almost there. When the syrup has cooled, mix it into some cold soda water in a 1 to 4 ratio. That's it. You've just made this clone of 7-UP yours.
Source: Top Secret Recipes: Sodas, Smoothies, Spirits and Shakes by Todd Wilbur.
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon Kool-Aid lemonade unsweetened drink mix
- 1 1/4 cups very hot water
- 1 tablespoon bottled lime juice
- 2 tablespoons bottled lemon juice
- 11 cups cold soda water
1. Combine the sugar, corn syrup, and lemonade drink mix in a medium pitcher or bowl. Add hot water and stir until the sugar has dissolved and the syrup is clear.
2. Add the lime juice and lemon juice and stir. Cover and chill for several hours until cold.
3. To make the soda, add 1/4 cup of cold syrup to 1 cup of cold soda water (1 to 4 ratio). Stir gently, drop in some ice, and serve.
Makes 11 10-ounce servings.
For 30 years I've been deconstructing America's most iconic brand-name foods to make the best original clone recipes for you to use at home. Welcome to my lab.