Put on a big red smile. Now you can make your own version of the popular convenience store slush, complete with brain freeze. You must have a blender to make this clone of 7-Eleven's Slurpee, and enough room to stick that blender into your freezer to get it nice and thick. This recipe gets close to the original with Kool-Aid mix and a little help from cherry extract, but you can make this drink with any flavor Kool-Aid mix (if you decide to make some variations, don't worry about adding extract). This recipe makes enough to fill one of those giant-size 32-ounce cups you find at the convenience store. Now I should hack the spoon-straws.
Source: Top Secret Recipes: Sodas, Smoothies, Spirits and Shakes by Todd Wilbur
This recipe is available in
- 2 1/2 cups crushed ice
- 2 cups cold club soda
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon cherry flavored unsweetened Kool-Aid mix
- 1/2 teaspoon cherry extract
- Do This
1. Pour 1 cup of the club soda into a blender. Add the sugar, Kool-Aid mix, and cherry extract. Blend this until all of the sugar is dissolved.
2. Add the crushed ice and blend on high speed until the drink is a slushy, smooth consistency, with no remaining chunks of ice.
3. Add the remaining club soda and blend briefly until mixed. You may have to stop the blender and use a long spoon to stir up the contents.
4. If necessary, put the blender into your freezer for 1/2 hour. This will help thicken it up. After 1/2 hour remove blender from freezer and, again, blend briefly to mix.
Makes one 32-ounce drink (or two 16-ouncers).